Over forty years of experience developing fermentation and biocatalytic processes give BTR a unique perspective on the special challenges sometimes associated with developing a commercial process. Each process development program is unique and varies depending upon the starting point, the objectives, and the degree of difficulty in achieving the objectives. Some are long-term development programs, requiring years for completion. Others can be completed within several months. BTR tailors each program to fit our client's goals and objectives.
Some successfully developed processes include the production of vitamins, amino acids, organic acids, antibiotics, biocontrol agents, polysaccharides, hydrocarbon bioconversions, biomass, and more. The following projects illustrate the variety of services we perform:
- Conducted a complete technical and economic assessment of an
enzyme transformation which was used to determine feasibility, set
technical goals, establish a budget, and develop time frames and work
schedules for commercialization.
- Screened and identified novel steroid biotransformation activities
- Isolated a novel and patentable enzyme for peptide transformation to be
used in the manufacture of a key biologic.
- Increased the fermentation yield of a therapeutic protein while
identifying and correcting the gene sequence.
- Led the technology transfer of a generic antibiotic process, doubled
the yield through process development, and successfully scaled the new process
in our client's production facilities.
- Increased the yield of an enzyme by 600% and assisted in identifying three new market opportunities.